History

Chittlehamholt was originally 'a clearing in the wood' it became a logging station to which the people of Chittlehampton came to cut timber, and eventually grew into a separate hamlet. 



In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chittlehamholt like this:

CHITTLEHAM-HOLT, a chapelry in Chittlehampton parish, Devon; on the river Taw, 3½ miles SW of South Molton, and 5 E of Umberleighr. station. Post town, South Molton, North Devon. Pop., 317. The manor belongs to the family of Brown. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £82. Patrons, the Trustees of Lord Rolle. The church is a modern structure in the early English style, founded by the late Lord Rolle.



Throughout the Middle Ages and up to the reign of Henry VIII, it was a park belonging to the earls of Devon, and until 1885 was a part of Chittlehampton - known as the South Quarter; the name appears in old parish records as Chittlehamholt.

The Exeter Inn is a sixteenth century coaching inn. The road through Chittlehamholt at the time was the main Barnstaple to Exeter road, so the Inn is appropriately named.

In 1850 John Jenkins was the landlord of the Exeter Inn alongside his wife, Elizabeth. By 1893, William Clarke bacame landlord with his wife, also Elizabeth.

The Exeter Inn was once a part of the manor estate and when it came on the market in 1918 it included twenty different lots. The Exeter Inn was not included in the main catalogue, but was sold at the conclusion of the sale and, according to the Journal of the time, was secured by Mr B.T. James for £550.

For the past twenty-five years The Exeter Inn has been run by the Glenister family, firstly Norman with wife Margaret, and later by their sons, David & Norman.






No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for leaving a comment it will appear here soon - your participation in our Chittlehamholt Community Shop Blog is very much appreciated.